Mulayam Singh to choose candidates for five UP assembly bypolls
Lucknow: The Parliamentary Board of the Samajwadi Party on Saturday authorised national president Mulayam Singh Yadav to select candidates for five assembly seats in Uttar Pradesh for which bypolls will be held soon.
"Of the 12 Vidhan Sabha seats for which by-elections are due, names of seven candidates were approved by the Board.
"For the remaining five seats, the national president has been authorised to choose party nominees," SP spokesman Rajendra Chaudhary said.
The Parliamentary Board meeting was chaired by state SP president and Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav.
During the meeting, discussions were also held on various issues including the membership drive, preparations for bypolls and taking achivements of the UP government to villages, the spokesman said.
The party has launched a membership campaign from July which will continue till August 31. Under the drive, a target of enrolling 1.5 lakh members has been fixed.
It was also decided at the meeting to observe student awareness fortnight from September 5.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- Rahul Gandhi received pay while on 56 day leave: Organizer
- Mega sale: Snapdeal, Flipkart, others gear up for festive season
- Zee Media Exclusive: Three Romanians arrested in skimming scam in Mumbai
- Dadri lynching: Azam Khan seeks UN intervention
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country will not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh
- 'Rahul Gandhi gets pay without work'
- Dadri Police recommends FIR against Mahesh Sharma, Sangeet Som, Naseemuddin Siddiqui