Mulayam Singh to choose candidates for five UP assembly bypolls
Lucknow: The Parliamentary Board of the Samajwadi Party on Saturday authorised national president Mulayam Singh Yadav to select candidates for five assembly seats in Uttar Pradesh for which bypolls will be held soon.
"Of the 12 Vidhan Sabha seats for which by-elections are due, names of seven candidates were approved by the Board.
"For the remaining five seats, the national president has been authorised to choose party nominees," SP spokesman Rajendra Chaudhary said.
The Parliamentary Board meeting was chaired by state SP president and Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav.
During the meeting, discussions were also held on various issues including the membership drive, preparations for bypolls and taking achivements of the UP government to villages, the spokesman said.
The party has launched a membership campaign from July which will continue till August 31. Under the drive, a target of enrolling 1.5 lakh members has been fixed.
It was also decided at the meeting to observe student awareness fortnight from September 5.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says