Mulayam Singh to choose candidates for five UP assembly bypolls
Lucknow: The Parliamentary Board of the Samajwadi Party on Saturday authorised national president Mulayam Singh Yadav to select candidates for five assembly seats in Uttar Pradesh for which bypolls will be held soon.
"Of the 12 Vidhan Sabha seats for which by-elections are due, names of seven candidates were approved by the Board.
"For the remaining five seats, the national president has been authorised to choose party nominees," SP spokesman Rajendra Chaudhary said.
The Parliamentary Board meeting was chaired by state SP president and Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav.
During the meeting, discussions were also held on various issues including the membership drive, preparations for bypolls and taking achivements of the UP government to villages, the spokesman said.
The party has launched a membership campaign from July which will continue till August 31. Under the drive, a target of enrolling 1.5 lakh members has been fixed.
It was also decided at the meeting to observe student awareness fortnight from September 5.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- Watch: Videos show German-Iranian gunman going on rampage in Munich
- Heavy rain in China kills at least 24, millions evacuated
- Defence Minister Parrikar leaves for Chennai to monitor ops of missing IAF AN 32
- Pakistan has been crying for Kashmir ever since independence: NPP
- Harshvardhan is more hardworking than me which is very surprising, says Anil Kapoor