Mulayam Singh Yadav placates Syed Bukhari
Lucknow: Placated by Mulayam Singh Yadav,
Shahi Imam of Jama Masjid Syed Bukhari, who was embroiled in a
spat with SP leader Azam Khan, on Thursday agreed to field his
son-in-law in legislative council election, an offer he had
turned down earlier while seeking more tickets for Muslims.
Bukhari, who met Yadav at his residence in presence of
Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav, told PTI that Samajwadi Party
supremo has agreed to take two more Muslim ministers in the
government and give legislative council ticket to a Muslim
candidate, besides his son-in-law Omer Ali Khan, on the seat
left vacant due to resignation of BSP supremo Mayawati.
"Yadav also assured us that he will give proper
representation to Muslim officers in administration," Bukhari
"I asked Mulayam that it was his duty to put forth views
of Muslim community, which wanted better representation in the
government. 80 per cent Muslims of the state voted for SP and
the party should act for their cause," he said, adding that he
would not sit quiet on the issue of rights of the community.
Bukhari said that Mulayam assured him that he will not
have to raise these issues again.
Asked whether the recent remarks of UP cabinet minister
Azam Khan were raised during the meeting, Bukhari said that he
does not "give importance to unnecessary thing".
The Chief Minister said that there were no difference with
Bukhari and is son-in-law will file nomination papers
The war of words between the SP leader and the cleric
started after Bukhari rejected SP`s offer of fielding his
son-in-law to the state legislative council, insisting on two
seats for the Muslim community.
Azam dared Bukhari to contest mayoral polls from
Moradabad, saying if the cleric did not forfeit his deposits
he would take retirement from active politics.
"Unka kaam namaaz padhana hai, wahi karein" (His work is
lead prayers, and he should do only that), Azam had said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India