Mulayam Singh Yadav placates Syed Bukhari
Lucknow: Placated by Mulayam Singh Yadav,
Shahi Imam of Jama Masjid Syed Bukhari, who was embroiled in a
spat with SP leader Azam Khan, on Thursday agreed to field his
son-in-law in legislative council election, an offer he had
turned down earlier while seeking more tickets for Muslims.
Bukhari, who met Yadav at his residence in presence of
Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav, told PTI that Samajwadi Party
supremo has agreed to take two more Muslim ministers in the
government and give legislative council ticket to a Muslim
candidate, besides his son-in-law Omer Ali Khan, on the seat
left vacant due to resignation of BSP supremo Mayawati.
"Yadav also assured us that he will give proper
representation to Muslim officers in administration," Bukhari
"I asked Mulayam that it was his duty to put forth views
of Muslim community, which wanted better representation in the
government. 80 per cent Muslims of the state voted for SP and
the party should act for their cause," he said, adding that he
would not sit quiet on the issue of rights of the community.
Bukhari said that Mulayam assured him that he will not
have to raise these issues again.
Asked whether the recent remarks of UP cabinet minister
Azam Khan were raised during the meeting, Bukhari said that he
does not "give importance to unnecessary thing".
The Chief Minister said that there were no difference with
Bukhari and is son-in-law will file nomination papers
The war of words between the SP leader and the cleric
started after Bukhari rejected SP`s offer of fielding his
son-in-law to the state legislative council, insisting on two
seats for the Muslim community.
Azam dared Bukhari to contest mayoral polls from
Moradabad, saying if the cleric did not forfeit his deposits
he would take retirement from active politics.
"Unka kaam namaaz padhana hai, wahi karein" (His work is
lead prayers, and he should do only that), Azam had said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- SSC CGL 2016 exam dates out; read the eligibility criteria, registration details
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli