Mulayam throws weight behind farmer protests
Agra: Samajwadi Party chief Mulayam Singh Yadav has thrown his weight behind agitating farmers who have been demanding higher compensation for their land acquired by the Uttar Pradesh government for the Yamuna Expressway project.
Yadav made an unscheduled visit to Chhalesar on the Agra-Kanpur highway yesterday to sympathise with the farmers and launched a scathing attack on the Mayawati-led state
"The state government is deaf and dumb and is not bothered about the kisans," Yadav said while praising the farmers for having "taken to the streets to fight for their rights."
While reiterating his party`s support to the agitation, Yadav said his party workers would take an active part in the agitation after consulting the farmer leaders.
Pertinently, farmers had held `Gherao of Parliament` yesterday in the national capital against acquisition of land for the project, police firing on farmers in Uttar Pradesh and
to demand amendment in Land Acquisition Act and adequate compensation for farmers.
Yesterday`s `Gherao` had received support from all the major political parties across the political divide.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray