Mulayam`s assets case: SC to hear in February next

The Supreme Court on Tuesday fixed February 1, 2011, for hearing on the case relating to alleged disproportionate assets of former Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Mulayam Singh Yadav.

Last Updated: Oct 19, 2010, 19:39 PM IST

New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Tuesday fixed
February 1, 2011, for hearing on the case relating to alleged
disproportionate assets of former Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister
Mulayam Singh Yadav and his family members who have sought a
review of its order directing a CBI inquiry into the case.

The apex court had ordered a CBI inquiry on March 1,
2007, into the alleged accumulation of disproportionate assets
by Yadav, his sons Akhilesh, Prateek and daughter-in-law
Dimple on a public interest litigation (PIL) by an advocate
Vishwanath Chaturvedi.
The matter was listed before a Bench comprising Justices
Altamas Kabir and H L Dattu which said all formalities
relating to matter like pleadings etc, if not completed, have
to be done before the next date of hearing.

The date for hearing on February 1 next year was fixed
after the consent of the advocates of all parties which
included Attorney General G E Vahanvati, senior advocates
Mukul Rohatgi and Rakesh Dwivedi, appearing for Yadav`s and
counsel for Chaturvedi.

The case was last heard by the apex court in February
last year when CBI was criticised for its handling of the
case with the court saying the agency was "acting at the
behest" of the central government.

The court was unhappy about the ground on which CBI
wanted withdrawal of a plea seeking direction permitting the
agency to proceed further in the matter without any reference
to the government.
The law officer had said the opinion of the Law Ministry
was sought to withdraw an application under which CBI had
sought filing of an inquiry report before the apex court and
not the government.

Vahanvati, who was then the Solicitor General, had given
the opinion in the case in November 2008 to the government
for withdrawal of CBI`s application for submitting report of
the probe to the apex court.

The court had criticised the CBI decision.

The Attorney General had then said that his opinion in
the case was on the point of law and during pendency of the
matter detailed representations were made relating to the case
which could be considered.

CBI had on December 6, 2008, moved the apex court seeking
withdrawal of its earlier application of October, 2007 in
which it had sought permission to place a status report before
the court instead of submitting it to the central government
as per the March 1, 2007 order.

The court wanted to know the reason from CBI for
withdrawal of the application and had expressed its
inclination to modify the order saying "the direction in the
judgement to submit the report to the Centre was possibly a
mistake".

PTI