Murder accused SP MLA surrenders before court
Lucknow: A Samajwadi Party MLA accused of killing a woman on Thursday surrendered before a local court.
"MLA from Sadar constituency in Maharajganj district Sripat Azad, who was wanted in the murder case of Savitri Devi Sharma, surrendered before Chief Judicial Magistrate
court this afternoon, Additional Director General of Police Brij Lal told reporters.
Azad has been sent to jail, he added.
A murder case was lodged against the MLA on March 22 after Savitri, who was allegedly set ablaze by Azad on March 15, died during treatment at Raghavdas Medical College in Gorkahpur on March 19.
Police said Azad was earlier declared an "absconder" by a local court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!