Murder accused SP MLA surrenders before court
Lucknow: A Samajwadi Party MLA accused of killing a woman on Thursday surrendered before a local court.
"MLA from Sadar constituency in Maharajganj district Sripat Azad, who was wanted in the murder case of Savitri Devi Sharma, surrendered before Chief Judicial Magistrate
court this afternoon, Additional Director General of Police Brij Lal told reporters.
Azad has been sent to jail, he added.
A murder case was lodged against the MLA on March 22 after Savitri, who was allegedly set ablaze by Azad on March 15, died during treatment at Raghavdas Medical College in Gorkahpur on March 19.
Police said Azad was earlier declared an "absconder" by a local court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- My News: People forced to pay for govt water tankers in Sangam Vihar
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi