Muslim body ropes in mosques for water conservation campaign
Lucknow: In a unique initiative, a Muslim body here has launched an awareness drive on water conservation beginning from mosques.
Activists of Sunni Board of India are out appealing to
Muslims since the past two months to save water during `Wazu`,
the customary cleansing ritual before prayers.
"Saving water is the most pious duty and the Prophet
himself had advocated it some 1400 years ago asking the
devout to use it in minimum quantity even while doing Wazu",
president of the Sunni Board of India Mohd. Shahabuddin Khan
The importance of water conservation is being
propagated among the Muslims by the organisation through
seminars and discourses in mosques especially after the
"We are telling the devout to use pots (lotas) while
performing Wazu instead of using running water from the taps
to check water wastage," Shahabuddin said.
The body has also been distributing pots free of cost
to the mosques, he said.
The aim is to reach out to some 100 mosques every
month, he said adding that the response to the campaign so far
has been very encouraging.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Katra helicopter crash: 'Dead pilot' Sumita Vijayan says she is alive
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!