Muslim body ropes in mosques for water conservation campaign
Lucknow: In a unique initiative, a Muslim body here has launched an awareness drive on water conservation beginning from mosques.
Activists of Sunni Board of India are out appealing to
Muslims since the past two months to save water during `Wazu`,
the customary cleansing ritual before prayers.
"Saving water is the most pious duty and the Prophet
himself had advocated it some 1400 years ago asking the
devout to use it in minimum quantity even while doing Wazu",
president of the Sunni Board of India Mohd. Shahabuddin Khan
The importance of water conservation is being
propagated among the Muslims by the organisation through
seminars and discourses in mosques especially after the
"We are telling the devout to use pots (lotas) while
performing Wazu instead of using running water from the taps
to check water wastage," Shahabuddin said.
The body has also been distributing pots free of cost
to the mosques, he said.
The aim is to reach out to some 100 mosques every
month, he said adding that the response to the campaign so far
has been very encouraging.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble