Muslim groups clash in Uttar Pradesh over offering Eid prayers
Lucknow: Over a dozen people were injured in a Meerut village of Uttar Pradesh when clashes erupted between two sects of Muslims over offering Eid prayers, police said on Wednesday.
The violence broke out on Tuesday in Allipur area of Kharkhauda village when the Sheikhs and Qureshis in the area got into an altercation over who will first offer prayers at the Chappar Wali Maszid.
Elders tried to pacify youths from both sides, but they did not listen and hurled stones and fired gun shots at each other.
A mob torched some vehicles and shops. When police reached the spot, they too were attacked and beaten up. They fled the scene to escape the wrath of the mob, an official said, adding illegal weapons were also used to fire.
"A probe has begun and additional security been deployed in the area," an official told a news agency.
The situation is now under control. In the last one week, two clashes in Saharanpur and Rampur in the state between members of two different communities erupted that left six dead and many injured.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- BJP-led NDA predicted to win 147 seats in Bihar Assembly Elections: Survey
- Can Lalu Prasad Yadav's elder son Tej be less in age than younger son Tejaswi?
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country would not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh