Muslim groups clash in Uttar Pradesh over offering Eid prayers
Lucknow: Over a dozen people were injured in a Meerut village of Uttar Pradesh when clashes erupted between two sects of Muslims over offering Eid prayers, police said on Wednesday.
The violence broke out on Tuesday in Allipur area of Kharkhauda village when the Sheikhs and Qureshis in the area got into an altercation over who will first offer prayers at the Chappar Wali Maszid.
Elders tried to pacify youths from both sides, but they did not listen and hurled stones and fired gun shots at each other.
A mob torched some vehicles and shops. When police reached the spot, they too were attacked and beaten up. They fled the scene to escape the wrath of the mob, an official said, adding illegal weapons were also used to fire.
"A probe has begun and additional security been deployed in the area," an official told a news agency.
The situation is now under control. In the last one week, two clashes in Saharanpur and Rampur in the state between members of two different communities erupted that left six dead and many injured.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says