Muzaffanagar riots` inquiry panel sets up camp till Monday
Muzaffarnagar: Two of the ten persons who were summoned by the one-man commission probing last year`s clashes did not depose before it on Tuesday.
Retired judge Justice Vishnu Sahai, who has set up a camp here till Monday, told reporters that the commission has received 700 affidavits in connection with the riots.
The commission will summon ten complainants each day to record their statements, he said.
"Statements of eight complainants were recorded today," Sahai said.
Two government lawyers have been deputed to help Sahai for the purpose, official sources said here.
The Uttar Pradesh government had on September 10, 2013 constituted the commission to probe into the Muzaffarnagar riots and gave it two months time to submit its report.
That deadline ended on November 11 last year, following which the government extended it by six months.
Over 60 persons were killed and more than 40,000 displaced in communal violence in Muzaffarnagar and adjoining areas in September last year.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Ram Mandir in Ayodhya will be built soon, says Thawar Chand Gehlot
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan