Muzaffanagar riots` inquiry panel sets up camp till Monday
Muzaffarnagar: Two of the ten persons who were summoned by the one-man commission probing last year`s clashes did not depose before it on Tuesday.
Retired judge Justice Vishnu Sahai, who has set up a camp here till Monday, told reporters that the commission has received 700 affidavits in connection with the riots.
The commission will summon ten complainants each day to record their statements, he said.
"Statements of eight complainants were recorded today," Sahai said.
Two government lawyers have been deputed to help Sahai for the purpose, official sources said here.
The Uttar Pradesh government had on September 10, 2013 constituted the commission to probe into the Muzaffarnagar riots and gave it two months time to submit its report.
That deadline ended on November 11 last year, following which the government extended it by six months.
Over 60 persons were killed and more than 40,000 displaced in communal violence in Muzaffarnagar and adjoining areas in September last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Pakistan can inflict 'heavy losses' in war with India: Khawaja Muhammad Asif
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?