Muzaffarnagar peaceful, curfew relaxed
Lucknow/Muzaffarnagar: The situation in Uttar Pradesh`s Muzaffarnagar district and its adjoining areas, where 47 people died in communal clashes, was peaceful on Saturday, officials said. The curfew was relaxed for 12 hours.
Security personnel are maintaining tight vigil as the situation was still tense in rural areas.
Curfew was also relaxed on Friday for 12 hours. There were no reports of any untoward incident during this period. On Saturday, the relaxation will be from 7 am to 7 pm.
Around 40,000 people have taken refuge in more than 30 relief camps set up in Muzaffarnagar and Shamli districts. People at the camps said they were not sure of the security situation and were not ready to return to their hometowns.
The administration has distributed medicines, food and milk packets among other essential items at the relief camps.
The situation in Muzaffarnagar was fast returning to normal, said Special Task Force Director General Ashish Gupta.
The toll has been highest in Muzaffarnagar (38) while the other deaths were reported from Shamli (3), Saharanpur (1), Baghpat (3) and Meerut (2).
So far 11,000 people have been placed under preventive detention, while 187 have been arrested and 11 of them have cases of murder slapped against them, a home department official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ATM virus attack: Users of debit cards under threat!
- J&K govt suspends 12 officials on anti-national activities
- Bhubaneswar fire: Owner of SUM Hospital surrenders
- Delhi Police may arrest Kabaddi player Rohit over wife's suicide
- Politics over Mahesh Sharma's visit to Ayodhya museum site ahead of UP elections
- Airtel takes on Reliance Jio yet again; offers 10GB of 4G data at just Rs 259
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' release: I stand with Bollywood, why punish Pakistani artistes, says Digvijay Singh
- Man divorces wife after seeing her first time without make-up!