Muzaffarnagar relief camp: 11 children have died, says DM
Muzaffarnagar: A senior government official on Saturday confirmed 11 deaths of children in relief camps for victims of the Muzaffarnagar riots, even as chief medical officers were directed to provide adequate medical treatment to the victims.
District Magistrate (Muzaffarnagar) Kaushal Raj Sharma confirmed that 11 children have died in relief camp here and said the administration is looking into reports of death of six more children.
"To prevent any deaths in relief camps, medical checkup of all victims has been started and delivery facility for pregnant women have also provided in government hospitals," Sharma said.
"No victim would be allowed to deliver in the camps to avoid any untoward incident. The authorities have also decided to provide cloths and blankets to the victims in relief camps," he said.
However, a relief camp organizer Gulshan Ahmed today said a two-month-old baby girl died due to cold in relief camp at Malakpur village in Shamli district last evening.
With the Supreme Court taking note of media reports of deaths of children in relief camps, Uttar Pradesh Government had yesterday set up a high-level committee to look into the issue.
The committee has directed the Chief medical officer to provide adequate medical treatment in relief camps and an ambulance has been provided to the relief camps.
A committee led by Additional District Magistrate, Nagmani Tripathi is inquiring into the remaining six deaths.
It is learnt that one relief camp is operational in Muzaffarnagar district while four in Shamli district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'