Muzaffarnagar relief camps in bad state, victims should return home: Rahul
Zee Media Bureau/Manisha Singh
Nandgaon, Muzaffarnagar: Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi lamented the deplorable condition at the relief camps in Muzaffarnagar district in UP on Sunday and said that the violence in the riot-affected areas was instigated for political purposes.
Addressing the press here, Rahul said, “Relief camps is in deplorable state. The children are dying,” adding, “Wherever I went, I was told me that there is no enmity amongst people and that the violence was instigated for political purposes.”
Rahul also had a word of advice for the Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh, Akhilesh Yadav, “He is a young CM. He needs to focus on these relief camps.” At the same time Rahul clarified that the Congress had no animosity with Samajwadi Party government.
He also asked the CM to mediate between communities.
The Congress vice president arrived in the district today and started visiting relief camps early in the morning, starting from Muslim-dominated Malakpur in UP`s Shamli district. He asked the victims of Muzaffarnagar riots living in relief camps to go back to their homes. He said that those who had perpetuated the riots in Western UP wanted them to remain in the camps as the situation benefited them. “They want to keep you away from your villages,” he had told them.
The UP governement has faced flak for the death of people in relief camps due to cold wave and breakout of diseases.
Meanwhile, the Uttar Pradesh health department had issued an alert yesterday for the people living in the relief camps in Muzaffarnagar and Shamli districts in view of the severe winter conditions in the region.
Violence broke out in the Kawal area of Muzaffarnagar on August 27 this year, when members of a community returning from a panchayat meeting in Naglabadhod, three kilometres from Kawal, clashed with members of another community. The ensuing riots claimed more than sixty lives and in Western UP and rendered thousands homeless.
Akhilesh`s government was severely criticised by many quarters for no doing enough to curb the riots.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army kills 35 terrorists in surgical strikes across LoC
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’