Muzaffarnagar relief camps in bad state, victims should return home: Rahul
Zee Media Bureau/Manisha Singh
Nandgaon, Muzaffarnagar: Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi lamented the deplorable condition at the relief camps in Muzaffarnagar district in UP on Sunday and said that the violence in the riot-affected areas was instigated for political purposes.
Addressing the press here, Rahul said, “Relief camps is in deplorable state. The children are dying,” adding, “Wherever I went, I was told me that there is no enmity amongst people and that the violence was instigated for political purposes.”
Rahul also had a word of advice for the Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh, Akhilesh Yadav, “He is a young CM. He needs to focus on these relief camps.” At the same time Rahul clarified that the Congress had no animosity with Samajwadi Party government.
He also asked the CM to mediate between communities.
The Congress vice president arrived in the district today and started visiting relief camps early in the morning, starting from Muslim-dominated Malakpur in UP`s Shamli district. He asked the victims of Muzaffarnagar riots living in relief camps to go back to their homes. He said that those who had perpetuated the riots in Western UP wanted them to remain in the camps as the situation benefited them. “They want to keep you away from your villages,” he had told them.
The UP governement has faced flak for the death of people in relief camps due to cold wave and breakout of diseases.
Meanwhile, the Uttar Pradesh health department had issued an alert yesterday for the people living in the relief camps in Muzaffarnagar and Shamli districts in view of the severe winter conditions in the region.
Violence broke out in the Kawal area of Muzaffarnagar on August 27 this year, when members of a community returning from a panchayat meeting in Naglabadhod, three kilometres from Kawal, clashed with members of another community. The ensuing riots claimed more than sixty lives and in Western UP and rendered thousands homeless.
Akhilesh`s government was severely criticised by many quarters for no doing enough to curb the riots.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?