Muzaffarnagar riot victim attempts self-immolation
Muzaffarnagar: Upset with the alleged delay in sanctioning of relief fund, a 21-year-old Muzaffarnagar riot victim today allegedly tried to immolate himself in front of the District Magistrate`s office here, police said.
Riot victim Adil belongs to Mohammadpur Rai Singh village where his house was allegedly set on fire during the communal riots in the district September last following which he and his family had moved to a relief camp, they said.
He had applied for relief fund but upset with no response from the concerned departments he took this extreme step, they said.
However, Adil could not succeed in his attempt as the guards at the DM office somehow managed to stop him, they said adding he has been arrested and further investigations are on.
Around 60 people died and thousands were displaced from their homes in last year`s communal violence in Muzaffarnagar and neighbouring villages of Western Uttar Pradesh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi