Muzaffarnagar riot-victims refused to vacate Shamli camp
Muzaffarnagar: Riot-victims residing in Malakpur relief camp in neighbouring Shamli district have refused to leave the place, officials said.
Yesterday, a team of officials from Baghpat visited the Malakpur camp and appealed the victims to return to their native villages. But the victims have refused to leave the camp owing to fear, they said.
"We have appealed them to shift to safer places due to biting cold," Shamli District Magistrate P K Singh said.
Singh denied that authorities were trying to forcefully vacate the camp.
About 250 displaced families were residing in the camp. District authorities have assured the security to the victims if they returned to their native village Wajidpur, SP Baghpat J K Shahi told reporters.
But, they refused to leave the camp. The team has returned, Shahi added.
Meanwhile Secretary of Jamiat Ulema-e-Hind of Delhi Hakimuddin has alleged that the district authorities are trying to vacate the camp without giving any alternative place.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation
- Vyapam scam: After over 45 deaths, can Shivraj Singh Chouhan resist CBI probe?