Muzaffarnagar riots: 245 persons arrested so far
Muzaffarnagar: Nearly 250 people have been arrested so far in connection with the September riots in Muzaffarnagar and neighbouring areas, police said on Monday.
The Uttar Pradesh constituted Special Investigation Team (SIT) had asked local police to arrest over 300 accused in different riot cases, out of which 245 have been arrested, said H N Singh, SSP, Muzaffarnagar.
Meanwhile, SIT sources said that the team has completed its investigation in more than ten cases of riots in affected villages including Kutba, Bahawdi, Purbaliyan, Phugana, Lank and Kharad, but the chargesheets have not been filed in the court as the accused have not been arrested.
SIT is investigating a total of 571 cases in which 6,386 people were named, including 538 cases of Muzaffarnagar, 27 of Shamli, two of Baghpat, one of Meerut and Saharanpur each.
Over 60 people were killed and thousands left homeless during the riots in Muzaffarnagar and adjoining areas in September.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- Quota row: Hardik Patel threatens Gujarat’s govt again
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea
- After daughter Sheena, Indrani Mukerjea planned to kill son Mikhail?
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- After Naved, another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir