Muzaffarnagar riots: 5 chargesheeted in Kawal killings
Muzaffarnagar: A Special Investigation Team (SIT) has chargesheeted five accused in murder case in Kawal village of the district, which led to widespread riots in western Uttar Pradesh.
According to SIT sources, a chargesheet was filed in the court of Chief Judicial Magistrate K P Singh against five accused-- Mujassim, Mujammil, Nadeem, Jahangir and Furkan-- under various sections of the IPC and seven criminal law act.
One remaining accused Afzal is under investigation, they said.
A case was registered against seven people including deceased Shanawaz at Kawal village under Jansath police station in the district.
On August 27, Shahnawaz was shot dead by two youths Gaurav and Sachin, who were later lynched by a mob in the village.
The incident led to widespread riots in Muzaffarnagar district and adjoining districts of Shamli, Baghpat, Meerut and Saharanpur, in which over 40 people were killed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I know why Indrani Mukherjea murdered my sister Sheena: Mikhail Bora
- OROP issue: With no breakthrough in sight, Army veterans may meet PM Narendra Modi today
- Sheena Bora murder case: All that we know about Indrani Mukherjea
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukherjea's former husband, Sanjeev Khanna, arrested by Mumbai Police