Muzaffarnagar riots: 5 chargesheeted in Kawal killings
Muzaffarnagar: A Special Investigation Team (SIT) has chargesheeted five accused in murder case in Kawal village of the district, which led to widespread riots in western Uttar Pradesh.
According to SIT sources, a chargesheet was filed in the court of Chief Judicial Magistrate K P Singh against five accused-- Mujassim, Mujammil, Nadeem, Jahangir and Furkan-- under various sections of the IPC and seven criminal law act.
One remaining accused Afzal is under investigation, they said.
A case was registered against seven people including deceased Shanawaz at Kawal village under Jansath police station in the district.
On August 27, Shahnawaz was shot dead by two youths Gaurav and Sachin, who were later lynched by a mob in the village.
The incident led to widespread riots in Muzaffarnagar district and adjoining districts of Shamli, Baghpat, Meerut and Saharanpur, in which over 40 people were killed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Watch: Tracing the journey of Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- I-T department rejects declaration of Rs 2,00,000 crore made under IDS by Mumbai family