Muzaffarnagar riots a big blot on Akhilesh: Jairam Ramesh
Lucknow: Terming the Muzaffarnagar riots a `big blot` on Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav`s government, union Rural Development Minister Jairam Ramesh Saturday said the violence had dissipated the hope he had evoked after taking over the country`s most populous state.
Talking to reporters at the state Congress headquarters, Ramesh accused the state`s Samajwadi Party (SP) government of slow response during the riots that deteriorated the situation and caused loss of lives.
As many as 48 people died and thousands were displaced from their homes during the communal riots.
"Akhilesh is a friend but I have to say that the riots are a big blot on his government and on his very own administrative acumen," the minister said, adding Akhilesh had "ushered in a lot of hope when he was elected chief minister of Uttar Pradesh but those hopes now stand dashed".
Ramesh also slammed the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) and said the party along with the SP were out to contest the 2014 Lok Sabha polls on communal lines.
"The polity in the state is polarised by these two parties and they would be benefitted by the riots," he said.
Speaking on challenges in the LS polls, Ramesh, closely associated with Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi, said the main contest this time would be between Congress and the Rashtriya Swayamsewak Sangh (RSS).
He termed the BJP a "frontal organisation of the RSS" and said that nationally it stood no chance against Congress.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days