Muzaffarnagar riots a big blot on Akhilesh: Jairam Ramesh
Lucknow: Terming the Muzaffarnagar riots a `big blot` on Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav`s government, union Rural Development Minister Jairam Ramesh Saturday said the violence had dissipated the hope he had evoked after taking over the country`s most populous state.
Talking to reporters at the state Congress headquarters, Ramesh accused the state`s Samajwadi Party (SP) government of slow response during the riots that deteriorated the situation and caused loss of lives.
As many as 48 people died and thousands were displaced from their homes during the communal riots.
"Akhilesh is a friend but I have to say that the riots are a big blot on his government and on his very own administrative acumen," the minister said, adding Akhilesh had "ushered in a lot of hope when he was elected chief minister of Uttar Pradesh but those hopes now stand dashed".
Ramesh also slammed the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) and said the party along with the SP were out to contest the 2014 Lok Sabha polls on communal lines.
"The polity in the state is polarised by these two parties and they would be benefitted by the riots," he said.
Speaking on challenges in the LS polls, Ramesh, closely associated with Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi, said the main contest this time would be between Congress and the Rashtriya Swayamsewak Sangh (RSS).
He termed the BJP a "frontal organisation of the RSS" and said that nationally it stood no chance against Congress.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- 'Selfie with daughter' controversy: Bollywood supports Shruti Seth