Muzaffarnagar riots: Alert issued for relief camp residents due to winter
Muzaffarnagar: The Uttar Pradesh health department on Saturday issued an alert for the people living in the riot relief camps in Muzaffarnagar and Shamli districts in view of the severe winter conditions in the region.
There is a threat that people living in these camps may fall ill due to the cold conditions and rains, therefore the health department has issued an alert, Chief Medical Officer of the district SK Tyagi said here today.
Children, old people and pregnant woman are especially at risk, he added, saying that the condition may give rise to breathing problems among the aged people.
He appealed to the residents to shift to safer places.
Meanwhile, people living at the relief camp at Loee village in the district had a harrowing time last night as rain water entered the camp.
Around 650 people living in the camp faced difficulties after water entered the tents last night, said residents of the camp.
Many of them were unable to sleep, they said.
Meanwhile, two pregnant women were yesterday taken to the primary healthcare centre for delivery, sources at the hospital said.
There are 71 pregnant women and 283 children in the camp.
Also, four members of the National Human Right Commission yesterday visited the relief camps in Muzaffarnagar and Shamli districts to inquire about the condition of the victims there, officials said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees - Part II
- Monsoon havoc: Delhi lacks proper drainage system
- SC rejects plea seeking ban on WhatsApp messaging app
- 7th Pay Commission: Cabinet approves pay hike for govt employees
- Sweden, Kazakhstan, Ethiopia, Bolivia elected to UNSC for 2017-18
- Sturgeon to visit Brussels to defend Scotland`s EU place
- NATO, EU leaders pledge strong alliance to counter Brexit fallout
- EU leaders tell Britain to exit swiftly, market rout halts
- 'Beef smugglers' forced to eat cow dung in Faridabad