Muzaffarnagar riots: Alert issued for relief camp residents due to winter
Muzaffarnagar: The Uttar Pradesh health department on Saturday issued an alert for the people living in the riot relief camps in Muzaffarnagar and Shamli districts in view of the severe winter conditions in the region.
There is a threat that people living in these camps may fall ill due to the cold conditions and rains, therefore the health department has issued an alert, Chief Medical Officer of the district SK Tyagi said here today.
Children, old people and pregnant woman are especially at risk, he added, saying that the condition may give rise to breathing problems among the aged people.
He appealed to the residents to shift to safer places.
Meanwhile, people living at the relief camp at Loee village in the district had a harrowing time last night as rain water entered the camp.
Around 650 people living in the camp faced difficulties after water entered the tents last night, said residents of the camp.
Many of them were unable to sleep, they said.
Meanwhile, two pregnant women were yesterday taken to the primary healthcare centre for delivery, sources at the hospital said.
There are 71 pregnant women and 283 children in the camp.
Also, four members of the National Human Right Commission yesterday visited the relief camps in Muzaffarnagar and Shamli districts to inquire about the condition of the victims there, officials said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges - Part II
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges - Part III
- DNA: Analysis of video of elderly woman being thrashed by daughter
- DNA: Analysis of video of elderly woman being thrashed by daughter - Part II
- Twitter modifies 140-character limit, gives a bit more space to tweet!
- Tech Mahindra becomes 3rd entity to quit payments bank plan; cites margin concerns
- Sad but true! Women in India earn 19% less than men, says report
- Jayalalithaa thanks Stalin for attending her swearing-in ceremony, says 'no intent to disrespect him or DMK'
- Snapdeal CPO Anand Chandrasekaran quits