Muzaffarnagar riots: All party committee formed to probe TV sting
Lucknow: A seven-member all party committee of UP Assembly has been formed to probe the veracity of a sting operation by a news channel, reportedly showing political interference in functioning of police during the Muzaffarnagar riots and involvement of a minister in it.
Following the resolution passed in the House on September 19 on demand of members of various parties, the committee has been set up today, Principal Secretary of the Vidhan Sabha Pradeep Kumar Dubey said.
"The committee will systematically probe the veracity of the sting operation and probe the CD and other documents, collect documentary and verbal evidences," Dubey said adding that the committee will have the powers to use self-discretion to probe into the concerned issues.
After completing the probe, the committee is expected to submit its report before the conclusion of the first Session of Vidhan Sabha in 2014.
Satish Kumar Nigam of Samajwadi Party will head the committee. Other members are Mohd Irfan (SP), Sangram Yadav (SP), Brijlal Sonekar (SP), Amarpal Sharma (BSP), Manish Asija (BJP) and Dilnawaz Khan (Congress).
Following the sting operation by an electronic channel, the state government had faced a fresh round of attacks in the just concluded brief Monsoon Session by the opposition parties.
The opposition parties also demanded UP minister Azam Khan`s arrest whose name had also figured in the sting operation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown