Muzaffarnagar riots: Allahabad HC issues notice to Azam Khan
Zee Media Bureau
Allahabad: The Allahabad High Court has issued notice to Uttar Pradesh Cabinet Minister Azam Khan for allegedly pressing for the release of seven members from the Muslim community named in the murder of two Jats, which triggered the communal backlash in Mazaffarnagar district last month.
According to reports, the Allahabad High Court also stayed the suspension of an SHO of a police station in Muzaffarnagar where these seven accused were held by the police after the murder of two Jats.
Justice Sudhir Agarwal stayed the suspension of Om Veer Sirohi, who was SHO of Fugana police station, and asked Azam Khan to file his counter affidavit within ten days from the receipt of notice and the state government to file its reply within two weeks.
The petitioner had contended seven Muslims were arrested for the murder of two Jat community members Gaurav and Sachin and brought to Fugana police station on August 28 this year "but immediately thereafter, under the pressure of respondent no. 4 (Azam Khan), the top officers of the district namely the District Magistrate and the Senior Superintendent of Police were transferred and thereafter the arrested accused persons were directed to be released forthwith".
"This release of accused persons incited another community and in view of that, several meetings took place as a result of which riots took place", the petitioner had submitted.
The court said the allegations in the suspension order "cannot be said to constitute misconduct on the part of the petitioner. It only reveals that the petitioner could not effectively control violent incidents".
The court, however, noted that the allegations levelled against Khan were "serious" and "the chain of incidents show that the matter requires consideration to see the circumstances behind passing the impugned order" and to find out whether the same was "in accordance with law" and not "vitiated".
With PTI inputs
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement