Muzaffarnagar riots: BJP MLA Suresh Rana granted bail
Muzaffarnagar: BJP legislator Suresh Rana has been released on bail by a local court, almost two months after he was arrested for allegedly fanning communal riots here.
District and Sessions Judge Rama Jain gave bail to Rana yesterday on two surety bonds of Rs one lakh each.
The BJP leader, who was incarcerated in District Jail here, came out of the prison as he had already been granted bail in two other cases.
In November 7, National Security Act (NSA) Advisory Board had revoked detention of Rana and another BJP MLA Sangeet Singh Som under the stringent National Security Act (NSA).
Rana, an MLA from Thana Bhawan constituency of Shamli district, was the first legislator to be arrested after a court had issued non-bailable warrants against 16 persons for their alleged role in the communal violence.
On November 10, BJP MLA Som was released from jail by a neighbouring Deoband court.
The riots had left 62 persons dead and rendered 40,000 homeless.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH