Muzaffarnagar riots: BSP MLA gets bail
Muzaffarnagar: A local court on Thursday granted bail to BSP MLA Maulna Jameel, arrested for his alleged role in inciting communal riots in Muzaffarnagar.
Jameel was arrested yesterday on the outskirts of the city after evading the police for over a month. Chief Judicial Magistrate K P Singh gave bail to the BSP legislator on furnishing two personal sureties for Rs 20,000 each.
The legislator, against whom non-bailable warrant was issued over a month ago, is an MLA from Meerapur constituency of Muzaffarnagar.
He is also the third BSP leader to be booked in the case after his party MLA Noor Salim and MP Qadir Rana. A court in Muzaffarnagar had on September 18 issued non-bailable arrest warrants against 16 politicians and community leaders including BJP MLAs Sangit Som and Bhartendu Singh, BSP MP Rana, BSP MLAs Saleem and Jameel, Congress leader Saeeduzaman and BKU chief Naresh Tikait.
Over 60 people were killed in the violence and thousands were displaced.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video