Muzaffarnagar riots: BSP MLA gets bail
Muzaffarnagar: A local court on Thursday granted bail to BSP MLA Maulna Jameel, arrested for his alleged role in inciting communal riots in Muzaffarnagar.
Jameel was arrested yesterday on the outskirts of the city after evading the police for over a month. Chief Judicial Magistrate K P Singh gave bail to the BSP legislator on furnishing two personal sureties for Rs 20,000 each.
The legislator, against whom non-bailable warrant was issued over a month ago, is an MLA from Meerapur constituency of Muzaffarnagar.
He is also the third BSP leader to be booked in the case after his party MLA Noor Salim and MP Qadir Rana. A court in Muzaffarnagar had on September 18 issued non-bailable arrest warrants against 16 politicians and community leaders including BJP MLAs Sangit Som and Bhartendu Singh, BSP MP Rana, BSP MLAs Saleem and Jameel, Congress leader Saeeduzaman and BKU chief Naresh Tikait.
Over 60 people were killed in the violence and thousands were displaced.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan - Part II
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan - Part III
- Hafiz Saeed warns of jihad to free Pak rivers from India
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- Mahindra makes history with maiden win in Moto3 class
- Yemen clashes intensify as Ban Ki-moon pushes peace
- France beat Ireland 2-1 to reach Euro 2016 quarter-finals
- SUV chases Gujarat Oppn leader Shankersinh Vaghela's vehicle, nearly hits it
- Srinagar records season's hottest day, heat wave on in Jammu