Muzaffarnagar riots: BSP MLA gets bail
Muzaffarnagar: A local court on Thursday granted bail to BSP MLA Maulna Jameel, arrested for his alleged role in inciting communal riots in Muzaffarnagar.
Jameel was arrested yesterday on the outskirts of the city after evading the police for over a month. Chief Judicial Magistrate K P Singh gave bail to the BSP legislator on furnishing two personal sureties for Rs 20,000 each.
The legislator, against whom non-bailable warrant was issued over a month ago, is an MLA from Meerapur constituency of Muzaffarnagar.
He is also the third BSP leader to be booked in the case after his party MLA Noor Salim and MP Qadir Rana. A court in Muzaffarnagar had on September 18 issued non-bailable arrest warrants against 16 politicians and community leaders including BJP MLAs Sangit Som and Bhartendu Singh, BSP MP Rana, BSP MLAs Saleem and Jameel, Congress leader Saeeduzaman and BKU chief Naresh Tikait.
Over 60 people were killed in the violence and thousands were displaced.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections 2017: Samajwadi Party's 'kaam bolta hai' slogan faces litmus test