Muzaffarnagar riots case: SC notice to Centre, UP govt
Zee Media Bureau/Ritesh K Srivastava
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Monday issued a notice to the Centre and the Uttar Pradesh while responding to a PIL seeking the transfer of probe into the recent communal violence in Muzaffarnagar from state police to an independent agency.
According to reports, the apex court had asked the Centre and the UP government to reply to its notice at the earliest.
The order in this regard was passed by a bench headed by Justice GS Singhvi, before whom the matter was mentioned.
The PIL has been filed by Mohammed Haroon and others seeking apex court’s direction to the Centre and Uttar Pradesh Government to find out the reason behind the communal clashes in the state and to take immediate steps to control the violence.
The PIL also sought that the affected persons should be properly rehabilitated and the culprits behind the incident most be brought to book.
The petitioners alleged that houses of around 20,000 people have been burnt and they must be provided temporary shelter and food and medicines must also be supplied to the affected families.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- WATCH: At 430/9, India needed 24 runs to avoid follow on. What Kapil Dev did next will blow your mind!