Muzaffarnagar riots: Centre calls NIC meet on Sept 23
New Delhi: A meeting of the National Integration Council (NIC) has been called on September 23, by the Center to discuss how to combat communalism and casteism in the wake of the Muzaffarnagar riots which claimed at least 40 lives.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh will chair the meeting of the NIC, and is expected to discuss threadbare the growing incidents of communal violence.
Union ministers, Leaders of the Opposition in the Lok Sabha and the Rajya Sabha, Chief Ministers of all States and Union Territories are members of the NIC, which has nearly 150 members.
The NIC meeting assumes significance as the country has witnessed 451 incidents of communal violence till August-end this year, in comparison to 410 incidents last year.
Meanwhile, normalcy returns in the riot struck areas of Muzxaffarnagar and the curfew has been relaxed from 7 am to 7 pm in the city.
Scores of senior officials, including Additional Director General of Police (Law and Order) Arun Kumar and others, are constantly camping in trouble-hit Muzaffarnagar.
The Uttar Pradesh Government has constituted a one-member judicial commission to probe Muzaffarnagar violence, which claimed at least 40 lives.
The commission, which would mainly look into administrative lapses, if any, in controlling the violence, would submit its report to the government within two months.
Violence broke out in the Kawal area of Muzaffarnagar on Saturday when members of a community returning from a panchayat meeting in Naglabadhod, three kilometres from Kawal, clashed with members of another community.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- Report of a taxi driver who lends helping hand to patients in Mumbai
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog