Muzaffarnagar riots: Congress protests near UP Assembly complex
Lucknow: Holding UP government responsible for the Muzaffarnagar violence which claimed 47 lives, Congress on Monday staged a protest near the Legislative Assembly complex here, demanding immediate resignation of Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav.
Led by Congress legislature party leader Pradip Mathur, party workers and youth activists raised slogans against the Akhilesh government, alleging that it was a failure on all fronts.
"There is a nexus with communal people... The government is responsible for the riots in Muzaffarnagar and we demand resignation of Akhilesh Yadav," Mathur said.
He alleged that the riots in Muzaffarnagar were a political conspiracy of the SP and BJP to polarise votes ahead of next year`s general elections.
"The communal violence in Muzaffarnagar has proved that the Samajwadi Party and BJP are hand-in-glove to polarise votes," he charged.
Alleging that the government had failed to maintain law and order in the state, the Congress leader claimed that during SP`s 548 days of rule in UP, there had been 107 cases of riots and clashes, which show that every fifth day, the law and order broke down.
Mathur demanded suspension of the District Magistrate, IG and DIG for failing to control the situation in Muzaffarnagar.
AICC secretary Zubair Khan and former UPCC president Rita Bahuguna Joshi were also present during the protest.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- No trace of IAF's AN-32 aircraft and survivors
- Rio Olympics 2016: NADA to take decision on Narsingh Yadav's fate today
- Intruder who ‘spiked’ wrestler Narsingh Yadav’s food identified: Sources
- China increases soldiers at Ladakh's Pangong Lake
- Madhya Pradesh: Two women assaulted at railway station for carrying beef
- Girl commits suicide after being ragged in Kerala, three final year students arrested
- Japan knife attacker grins before cameras
- Uproar in Rajya Sabha over attack on women in Madhya Pradesh for carrying beef
- Billboard 200 albums chart: Drake's 'Views' remains on top for 11th time
- Quran sacrilege: Delhi AAP lawmaker Naresh Yadav sent to judicial custody till Aug 1