Muzaffarnagar riots: Congress protests near UP Assembly complex
Lucknow: Holding UP government responsible for the Muzaffarnagar violence which claimed 47 lives, Congress on Monday staged a protest near the Legislative Assembly complex here, demanding immediate resignation of Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav.
Led by Congress legislature party leader Pradip Mathur, party workers and youth activists raised slogans against the Akhilesh government, alleging that it was a failure on all fronts.
"There is a nexus with communal people... The government is responsible for the riots in Muzaffarnagar and we demand resignation of Akhilesh Yadav," Mathur said.
He alleged that the riots in Muzaffarnagar were a political conspiracy of the SP and BJP to polarise votes ahead of next year`s general elections.
"The communal violence in Muzaffarnagar has proved that the Samajwadi Party and BJP are hand-in-glove to polarise votes," he charged.
Alleging that the government had failed to maintain law and order in the state, the Congress leader claimed that during SP`s 548 days of rule in UP, there had been 107 cases of riots and clashes, which show that every fifth day, the law and order broke down.
Mathur demanded suspension of the District Magistrate, IG and DIG for failing to control the situation in Muzaffarnagar.
AICC secretary Zubair Khan and former UPCC president Rita Bahuguna Joshi were also present during the protest.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon