Muzaffarnagar: With its tenure ending, the one-man inquiry commission appointed by Uttar Pradesh government on Muzfarranagar riots has sought an extension.
The commission of retired judge of Allahabad High Court Vishnu Sahai, constituted on September 9 last year, had twice been given extension for six months each and its tenure ended yesterday.
The commission has sought more time to complete its inquiry and will have its next sitting on November 26 here, Commission sources said.
District Magistrate Koshal Raj Sharma said today that authorities have not yet received any notification on extension of the commission's tenure.
The state government had asked the commission to probe the violence starting from Kawal incident on August 27, 2013 and submit its reports in two months but later the deadline was extended.
The Commission was also asked to look into administrative lapses, if any, in controlling the violence in Muzaffarnagar and surrounding districts which left over 60 people dead while thousands of others were displaced.