Muzaffarnagar riots: Judicial panel begins probe
Lucknow: A one-member judicial commission formed to investigate last month`s riots in Muzaffarnagar district on Monday began its work by meeting people affected by the violence.
Retired Allahabad High Court judge Justice Vishnu Sahai visited Kawal and Malikpur villages and met the families hit by the riots in which 48 people were killed.
He assured justice to them and said guilty will be punished, according to an official release.
Sahai asked people having information about the violence to approach him at his camp office "without any fear".
He said that probe would be focused on four points -- cause of riots, action taken by the government officers at that time, measures to prevent riots in future and who were responsible for it.
He also inspected Nagla Madaud where panchayat was held on September 7. The retired judge also visited relief camps.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Narsingh Yadav doping controversy: Who's to blame?
- Narsingh Yadav doping controversy: Who's to blame? - Part II
- NADA likely to declare verdict on wrestler Narsingh Yadav's doping case on Thursday
- DNA: Analysis of crime, fraud and corruption during election in POK
- DNA: Analysis of crime, fraud and corruption during election in POK - Part II