Muzaffarnagar riots: Muslim leader urges Ajit Singh to help victims
New Delhi: A Muslim leader has urged Civil Aviation Minister Ajit Singh to help the thousands of Muslims who fled their villages after the riots in Uttar Pradesh to return to their homes.
Maulana Syed Jalaluddin Umari, president of Jamaat-e-Islami Hind, made the appeal at the head of a delegation to Ajit Singh, who leads the Rashtriya Lok Dal (RLD), a Jamaat statement said.
Ajit Singh and RLD command a sizeable influence in western Uttar Pradesh, where communal riots engulfed Muzaffarnagar earlier this month, leaving at least 40 people dead.
Thousands of Muslims fled their villages and have taken shelter in makeshift centres in Muzaffarnagar town, about 130 km from New Delhi, and other places.
The Jamaat president drew the attention of Ajit Singh towards the problems of thousands of people who have become homeless due to the riots.
Maulana Umari also urged Ajit Singh to use his influences in western Uttar Pradesh to help the victims return to their homes safely and to create an atmosphere of peace and communal harmony in the region.
The statement quoted Ajit Singh as assuring the Jamaat leaders that he would make all efforts to create peaceful atmosphere for the return of the affected people to their homes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!