Muzaffarnagar riots: Muslim leader urges Ajit Singh to help victims
New Delhi: A Muslim leader has urged Civil Aviation Minister Ajit Singh to help the thousands of Muslims who fled their villages after the riots in Uttar Pradesh to return to their homes.
Maulana Syed Jalaluddin Umari, president of Jamaat-e-Islami Hind, made the appeal at the head of a delegation to Ajit Singh, who leads the Rashtriya Lok Dal (RLD), a Jamaat statement said.
Ajit Singh and RLD command a sizeable influence in western Uttar Pradesh, where communal riots engulfed Muzaffarnagar earlier this month, leaving at least 40 people dead.
Thousands of Muslims fled their villages and have taken shelter in makeshift centres in Muzaffarnagar town, about 130 km from New Delhi, and other places.
The Jamaat president drew the attention of Ajit Singh towards the problems of thousands of people who have become homeless due to the riots.
Maulana Umari also urged Ajit Singh to use his influences in western Uttar Pradesh to help the victims return to their homes safely and to create an atmosphere of peace and communal harmony in the region.
The statement quoted Ajit Singh as assuring the Jamaat leaders that he would make all efforts to create peaceful atmosphere for the return of the affected people to their homes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- DNA: How India became world's largest arms importer
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Shiv Sena leads in 92 seats, BJP ahead in 73; counting underway
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena, BJP supporters clash in Mumbai; Congress wiped out from state
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM bags 5 seats; counting underway