Muzaffarnagar riots: SIT asked to complete probe by this month
Muzaffarnagar: The Uttar Pradesh police has asked the Special Investigation Team to complete its probe into Muzaffarnagar riot cases by this month.
The SIT officials have been asked to complete its probe into the riot cases at Muzaffarnagar, Shamli, Baghpat and Meerut districts by this month, state Additional Director General of Police (Law and Order) Mukul Goel said.
Goel, who held a meeting with the Special Investigation Team officers yesterday, said that investigation in most of the cases of riots have been completed and more than 250 people have been arrested so far.
However, SIT also found that 216 people named in the riot cases were innocent, Goel said.
The attachment proceeding have been initiated against the absconding people named in these cases and warrants have been issued against them.
The SIT has asked the local police to arrest 425 accused who are absconding.
The SIT has given a list of 425 people and asked the police to arrest them for filing charge sheet, Additional SP Manoj Jha said.
SIT started its investigation two months ago into the riots cases at Muzaffarnagar, Shamli, Baghpat and Meerut districts, that claimed over 65 lives.
Around 570 riot cases were registered and 6,386 persons were booked.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray