Muzaffarnagar riots: SIT seeks details in fake video case
Muzaffarnagar: Special Investigation Team, probing the riot cases, have asked CBI to seek information from Facebook in connection with a case of a fake video uploaded on the social networking website, which sparked communal tension in the district.
After receiving permission from the state government, the SIT has asked CBI to seek details from US-based website Facebook about the IP address of the accused who uploaded the video on Kawal incident, Additional SP Manoj Jha said on Sunday.
The SIT began investigations two months back in the riots cases at Muzaffarnagar and adjoining districts that claimed over 62 lives and rendered 40,000 people homeless.
A case was registered against 29 people including BJP MLA Sangeet Som for uploading fake video and making inflammatory speeches.
Som was arrested and later released on a bail.
It is learnt that the Uttar Pradesh police has asked the SIT to complete its probe into the riots cases by this month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- Two Indians freed from ISIS captivity in Libya to head home, fate of other two unknown