Muzaffarnagar riots: SIT seeks details in fake video case
Muzaffarnagar: Special Investigation Team, probing the riot cases, have asked CBI to seek information from Facebook in connection with a case of a fake video uploaded on the social networking website, which sparked communal tension in the district.
After receiving permission from the state government, the SIT has asked CBI to seek details from US-based website Facebook about the IP address of the accused who uploaded the video on Kawal incident, Additional SP Manoj Jha said on Sunday.
The SIT began investigations two months back in the riots cases at Muzaffarnagar and adjoining districts that claimed over 62 lives and rendered 40,000 people homeless.
A case was registered against 29 people including BJP MLA Sangeet Som for uploading fake video and making inflammatory speeches.
Som was arrested and later released on a bail.
It is learnt that the Uttar Pradesh police has asked the SIT to complete its probe into the riots cases by this month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- BSF cancels beating the retreat ceremony at Wagah post surgical strikes
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says