Muzaffarnagar riots: SIT seeks details in fake video case
Muzaffarnagar: Special Investigation Team, probing the riot cases, have asked CBI to seek information from Facebook in connection with a case of a fake video uploaded on the social networking website, which sparked communal tension in the district.
After receiving permission from the state government, the SIT has asked CBI to seek details from US-based website Facebook about the IP address of the accused who uploaded the video on Kawal incident, Additional SP Manoj Jha said on Sunday.
The SIT began investigations two months back in the riots cases at Muzaffarnagar and adjoining districts that claimed over 62 lives and rendered 40,000 people homeless.
A case was registered against 29 people including BJP MLA Sangeet Som for uploading fake video and making inflammatory speeches.
Som was arrested and later released on a bail.
It is learnt that the Uttar Pradesh police has asked the SIT to complete its probe into the riots cases by this month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert