Muzaffarnagar: Unauthorised shelters of refugees removed from forest land
Muzaffarnagar: Authorities in neighbouring Shamli district have removed illegal shelters put up on forest land by refugees following last year`s violence in the area, officials said.
According to Kairana Sub-Divisional Magistrate SK Mishra, the forest space near Roten village was yesterday cleared of the unauthorised structures after the refugees were served with a notice on June 13 to vacate government land.
In the operation which was carried out in the Jhinjhana police station area, forest department officials demolished illegal structures and removed the possessions of the refugees.
SDM Mishra had earlier said that a team of government officials had visited the camps on June 13 to "appeal" to the displaced persons to return to their native villages within three days.
"They would not be allowed to stay on government land and have been asked to vacate the shelters," Mishra had told reporters.
The illegal shelters are located in Malakpura, Narpur Khurgan, Akbarpur and Sunethi villages in Shamli district.
More than 250 families, who fled their homes after the communal riots here of last September which claimed more than 60 lives, are believed to be staying in such shelters in Shamli district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read