Muzaffarnagar violence: Ajit Singh flays Akhilesh Yadav govt for riots
New Delhi: Union Minister Ajit Singh on Sunday accused the Akhilesh Yadav government of failing to maintain law and order in Uttar Pradesh and demanded imposition of President`s Rule in the state, in the wake of violence in Muzaffarnagar.
"There have been more than 100 cases of communal riots in Uttar Pradesh since the Samajwadi Party came to power in the state. The latest riots in Muzaffarnagar have exposed the weak, ineffective and careless government which is instigating the riots from the back door," he said in a statement.
The Rastriya Lok Dal president claimed the situation had become so bad that a senior police officer deserted the region for fear of his life.
"The Indian Army had to be called in for restoring peace," the Civil Aviation Minister said, referring to the measures taken after the violence in UP in which at least 21 people were killed.
Singh also accused the Samajwadi Party of dividing society on communal lines and trying to divide the people who have been living in harmony and peace.
"It is because the Samajwadi Party is fearful of the voters` ire against the government`s non-performance, they have resorted to communalising the region," he alleged.
Singh claimed that the government had failed to act against political leaders who have been instigating people with hateful speeches leading to the flare up of communal riots.
He said the state had deployed large number of forces to stop the VHP yatra, but had "completely failed" in handling the communal situation in the state.
Singh called on the people to maintain calm and not to get instigated by the rumours and maintain peace and harmony.
He alleged that the Akhilesh Yadav government had awarded two sets of compensation to the victims and said the state government should immediately correct this folly.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?