Muzaffarnagar violence: UP assembly adjourned till Wednesday
Lucknow: The Uttar Pradesh assembly was adjourned till Wednesday after the opposition slammed the Samajwadi Party government over the Muzaffarnagar communal riots.
As soon as the first day of the monsoon session began, angry legislators of the Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) and Rashtriya Lok Dal (RLD) moved towards the speaker`s podium raising anti-government slogans.
Wearing caps with slogans printed on them and carrying banners, the legislators said the state government had completely failed to protect the people.
When his appeals for calm went unheeded, Speaker Mata Prasad Pandey adjourned the house, first for 15 minutes and then for over an hour.
But when the proceedings resumed in the afternoon, the commotion continued and the chair announced adjournment of the house till Wednesday. Tuesday is a holiday on account of Vishwakarma Puja.
Talking to reporters, Parliamentary Affairs Minister Mohammad Azam Khan refuted reports that the government was contemplating withdrawing the National Security Act (NSA) slapped against some of the accused.
He added that stringent action would be taken against all those involved in the violence.
The minister also took a dig at Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Congress president Sonia Gandhi for visiting Muzaffarnagar.
"They have gone to Muzaffarnagar... It is good but they should be equally concerned for other places (too that saw communal clashes). (They) should go to Faizabad, Bareilly and Mathura too," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum