Muzzafarnagar riots: 10,000 persons still living in 10 operational camps, says UP government
  • This Section
  • Latest
  • Web Wrap
Last Updated: Wednesday, November 13, 2013, 19:05
  
Zee Media Bureau

New Delhi: The Uttar Pradesh government on Wednesday filed status report in the Supreme Court regarding Muzzafarnagar riots.

In its report, the Akhilesh Yadav government has told the apex court that total 58 camps were made functional out of which 41 camps were in Muzaffarnagar and seventeen in Shamli, as per reports.

The state government also informed the court that relief material in terms of food grains and other essential commodities worth 151.64 lakhs have been distributed till now and said that over 41,000 persons, out of 50,955 who had taken shelter in 58 relief camps in riots-hit Muzaffarnagar area, have gone back to their native places.

A fresh status report, filed by Divisional Commissioner of Saharanpur, however, admitted that nearly 10,000 persons are still living in 10 operational camps and the residents of six riots-hit villages of Muzaffarnagar "have not agreed to return to their native villages even after confidence building measures and serious persuasion."

"Their decision was found to be justified largely based on the fear emanating from the kind of incidents that broke out on 7-8 September," it said, adding the state government has decided to pay the families, reluctant to go back, Rs 5 lakh per family for "resettlement and rehabilitation".

The report, which would be considered on November 21 by the bench headed by Chief Justice P Sathasivam who had taken serious note of fresh violence in the area, said that so far "581 persons have been arrested in connection with various FIRs lodged for incidents of violence, arson and looting."

"The Government of UP has paid Rs 6.15 crore to the families of the 61 deceased persons and Rs 17.50 lakh to 35 seriously injured persons and Rs 9.40 lakh to 47 persons with simple injuries," it said, adding the Centre has sanctioned Rs 1.49 crore for them.

The state government would also give jobs to one member of the family of 56 persons who died during the riots.

The report also gave details of arrangements made by the state government in relief camps including medical facilities and compensations paid to the victims under different heads.

Western UP was rocked by violence between two communities in September leaving more than fifty dead and hundreds homeless. A Special Investigation Team (SIT) of the Uttar Pradesh government was formed to probe the matter.

A one-man inquiry commission of Justice (retired) Vishnu Sahai was also set up to look into the violence in Muzaffarnagar riots.

The trigger for the violence was Kawaal village where an alleged incident of sexual harassment on August 27 led to three youths being killed. Later, a 'mahapanchayat' or gathering of village councils was held which is said to have escalated the communal clashes in the area.

The Akhilesh government was heavily criticised from all quarters for not acting in time and controlling the violence. Later, it was forced to call in the Army to control the situation and the Muzaffarnagar police chief, Subhash Chandra Dubey was suspended.

Last month, a bench of Chief Justice P Sathasivam, Justice Ranjana Prakash Desai and Justice Ranjan Gogoi directed the central and UP governments to inform it about the steps taken to assist the people affected by the violence in the district. Also, all cases pertaining to Muzaffarnagar riots were transferred to SC from the Allahabad High Court.

With PTI inputs


First Published: Wednesday, November 13, 2013, 17:43


comments powered by Disqus