Nandi attack case: HC grants bail to SP MLA
Allahabad: The Allahabad High Court on Friday granted bail to an MLA of ruling Samajwadi Party in Uttar Pradesh, arrested last year for his alleged role in a bomb attack on a minister of the previous BSP government.
Justice SC Agarwal granted bail to Vijay Kumar Mishra, who represents Gyanpur Assembly seat of Sant Ravidas Nagar district.
The court said that Mishra be released after he furnishes a personal bond with two sureties each "in the like amount to the satisfaction of the court concerned".
The bomb attack on Nandi, who held a cabinet berth in Mayawati government, took place outside his Allahabad residence on July 12, 2010 which left him badly injured besides killing two persons, including a journalist working with leading English daily.
The SP legislator was named an accused in the case after one of the suspects allegedly told police during interrogation that the conspiracy to attack the minister was hatched at the behest of Mishra.
The court also directed the legislator to "deposit his passport within two weeks of his release and if he has no passport, he shall swear to it on affidavit within the same period and shall not leave the country without prior permission of the court concerned".
Besides, the court ordered that the SP MLA "shall attend the court according to the conditions of the bond executed by him" and "shall not directly or indirectly make any inducement, threat or promise to any person acquainted with the facts of the case so as to dissuade him from disclosing such facts to the court or to any police officer or tamper with the evidence".
Mishra, who had been absconding ever since his name cropped up in a firing incident at a rally during the 2009 Lok Sabha elections, was finally caught by the Special Task Force of UP police from Delhi on February 8 last year and sent to jail after being produced before a court here on February 10.
He fought the Assembly elections held earlier this year while remaining behind the bars and retained his seat for the third consecutive term.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31