Nandi attack case: HC grants bail to SP MLA
Allahabad: The Allahabad High Court on Friday granted bail to an MLA of ruling Samajwadi Party in Uttar Pradesh, arrested last year for his alleged role in a bomb attack on a minister of the previous BSP government.
Justice SC Agarwal granted bail to Vijay Kumar Mishra, who represents Gyanpur Assembly seat of Sant Ravidas Nagar district.
The court said that Mishra be released after he furnishes a personal bond with two sureties each "in the like amount to the satisfaction of the court concerned".
The bomb attack on Nandi, who held a cabinet berth in Mayawati government, took place outside his Allahabad residence on July 12, 2010 which left him badly injured besides killing two persons, including a journalist working with leading English daily.
The SP legislator was named an accused in the case after one of the suspects allegedly told police during interrogation that the conspiracy to attack the minister was hatched at the behest of Mishra.
The court also directed the legislator to "deposit his passport within two weeks of his release and if he has no passport, he shall swear to it on affidavit within the same period and shall not leave the country without prior permission of the court concerned".
Besides, the court ordered that the SP MLA "shall attend the court according to the conditions of the bond executed by him" and "shall not directly or indirectly make any inducement, threat or promise to any person acquainted with the facts of the case so as to dissuade him from disclosing such facts to the court or to any police officer or tamper with the evidence".
Mishra, who had been absconding ever since his name cropped up in a firing incident at a rally during the 2009 Lok Sabha elections, was finally caught by the Special Task Force of UP police from Delhi on February 8 last year and sent to jail after being produced before a court here on February 10.
He fought the Assembly elections held earlier this year while remaining behind the bars and retained his seat for the third consecutive term.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- My News: People forced to pay for govt water tankers in Sangam Vihar
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi