Narendra Modi as PM? Celebrities tussle at Taj Litfest
Agra: More than literature, it was politics that got highlighted at the concluding day of the Taj Literature Festival Sunday with a tussle over Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi as a prime ministerial candidate.
Author Shobha De targeted Modi for post-Godhra riots and ruled out his candidature for prime ministership. She said if the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) wanted to project him as its candidate for the top post, "Why don`t they announce his name right now?"
BJP leader Vani Tripathi countered her, saying: "When the time comes, it will be done."
Ad guru Prahlad Kakkar was more categorical. He not only supported Modi but said the youths of India want him.
The big gathering did not support De, as no one appeared to agree with her.
Other leaders did not fare well.
Photographer Raghu Rai termed Congress`s new vice president Rahul Gandhi a "bhaiyya," while De said Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav was ok in parts, but appeared to have lost his political track.
Kakkar said the country needed a strong dose of purgative to get rid of constipation.
Media persons tried hard to drag writers and celebrities into controversial politics, but they most carefully avoided making any critical political comments, perhaps learning from the fallout of Jaipur Festival.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark