Narendra Modi to hold rally in Kanpur on Oct 20
Zee Media Bureau
Kanpur: BJP prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi`s rally which was earlier scheduled for October 15, but was delayed due to festivals, will now be held on October 20, Kanpur unit of the party said on Friday.
The rally was postponed as the date was clashing with two religious festivals.
BJP general secretary Amit Shah will visit Kanpur on October 3 to review the preparations for the rally and meet party workers, BJP sources here said.
The venue for the rally has not been fixed yet, they said.
BJP Kanpur president Surendra Maithani said party workers have been visiting the NCR Railway Headquarters in Allahabad for past one week to obtain permission to hold the rally in a railway field in Nirala Nagar.
Maitahni alleged that Railways was refusing to give permission on the directions of the Centre.
Three lakh people are expected to take part in the Kanpur rally. Other options for the venue include the Moti Jheel field and Brajendra Swaroop park but they are comparatively smaller keeping in mind the number of people expected, he said.
Earlier, the rally was scheduled on October 15, but it had to be postponed as Dussehra would fall on October 13 or 14 and Bakr-eid on October 15 or 16 and district administration would not have adequate security forces at that time, he said.
Congress MP and Coal minister Sriprakash Jaiswal has won Lok Sabha elections from Kanpur for last three times and is expected to win this time also.
BJP has not yet announced its Lok Sabha candidate from Kanpur. SP has announced stand-up comedian Raju Srivastava as its candidate, while BSP has nominated youth leader Salim Ahmed to contest the polls.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof