Naresh Tikait made new BKU national president
Muzaffarnagar: BKU will not hesitate to
launch an agitation on the land acquisition issue for the
welfare of the farmers, newly-elected national President of
Bhartiya Kisan Union Naresh Tikait said here.
"BKU is sincere about the land acquisition issue and
will not hesitate to start the agitation on it," he said here
He said that the party will remain a non political
organisation and its movement for the interest of the farmers
will also continue.
55-year-old Tikait was yesterday made the new national
President of BKU after the death of his father and BKU head
Mahendra Singh Tikait.
76-year-old Mahendra Singh Tikait, who was suffering
from bone cancer, died on May 15.
Naresh, the eldest son of Mahendra, was also made the
head of Baliyan Khap.
Opposing marriages in the same khap, he said he will
try to make the khap council more strong.
The government should bring an amendment in the Hindu
Marriage Act to enforce a ban on same khap marriages, he told
reporters at Sisauli near here.
Various prominent political leaders, including BJP
leader L K Advani, RLD leader Choudhary Ajit Singh, former
Chief Minister of Haryana Om Prakash Chautala were also
present on the occasion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ganga river crosses danger mark in UP, Bihar and West Bengal
- NDMC issues notices to President's Estate for mosquito breeding
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of loss caused by floods in India
- GST promises to boost GDP growth rates by up to 2%: President
- Vodafone to start e-KYC from Aug 24 for instant SIM activation
- Belgian jazz musician Toots Thielemans dies at 94
- Finance Ministry expects new RBI Governor Urjit Patel to push growth while checking inflation
- Tata Motors launches two new commercial vehicles in Indonesia