Narrow escape for passengers of Vaishali Express
Hundreds of passengers on board the Barauni-New Delhi 12552 superfast Vaishali Express had a narrow escape when a fire that broke out in one of the general compartments (01494) was detected on time.
According to railway officials, the incident took place late Tuesday night when the train left Basti for Gonda, 119 km from here.
The train was chugging along at its routine speed, when smoke and sparks were spotted from above the fan in the general compartment. In no time, the fire spread to the whole compartment and passengers pulled the emergency chain, but the train did not stop.
Panic-stricken passengers started shouting, and the guard noticed the melee and informed the driver on the walkie talkie to stop the train.
The driver brought the train to a halt.
The divisional rail manager (DRM) Vinod Kumar Yadav said all passengers were safe and the bogey in which fire broke out was `cut off` from the train at the Lakhpatrai railway station.
"Prima facie, the reason for the fire appears to be electric overcharging. The incident will be probed," Yadav said.
As the train resumed its journey to New Delhi, many passengers refused to board it again. Passengers who were wary of continuing their travel on the train were sent onward on other trains.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee?
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part II
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part III
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part IV
- Are central govt employees justified in demanding salary hike?
- It was a joke: Irrfan on 'Kabali' poster comment
- Salman Khan's brand new 'Sultan' poster is brutal and adrenaline-pumping! – View pic
- Sensex rallies 216 points on 7th Pay Commission approval, GST hopes
- Euro 2016: Can Iceland emulate Leicester City's fairytale and go all the way?
- NHRC notice to Tamil Nadu over botched eye surgeries