NCPCR may call UP Health Secy on Encephalitis deaths
New Delhi: In the wake of nearly 500 children
succumbing to Japanese Encephalitis in eastern Uttar Pradesh
this year, the National Commission for Protection of Child
Rights (NCPCR) has said it may summon its Health Secretary if
the state government does not submit a report soon.
NCPCR had taken a suo-motu cognisance of reports in this
regard and issued a notice to UP government asking it to
submit a detailed report, NCPCR Member Secretary Luv Sharma
"We had issued a notice to UP government on October 8
asking them to provide us details of the deaths. We have not
received any reply from the state Government. Now we have
decided to issued them a reminder and I will also talk to the
Health Secretary there," he said.
Nearly 500 children have died in Eastern UP because of
Japanese Encephalitis. It is a serious issue and we want a
official report from the state government on this, Sharma
Hoping that the UP government will take the reminder
seriously, he said the Commission may decide to summon the
Health Secretary if the state fails to provide them the
"Japanese Encephalitis is a major disease and it needs
concerted efforts of all the responsible agencies. We are also
planning to consult other state governments in this regard,"
Over the years, eastern UP has been the epicentre of
Japanese Encephalitis in the country and the measures taken by
the state government have been of little help.
Recently, Health Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad during his
visit to the affected areas had ordered setting up of a
central coordination committee to deal with the problem.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- My News: People forced to pay for govt water tankers in Sangam Vihar
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi