NCPCR summons UP`s Principal Health Secy over JE deaths
New Delhi: With encephalitis claiming lives of large number of children in Uttar Pradesh`s Gorakhpur district, the country`s child rights protection body has directed the state`s Principal Secretary Health to appear before it next month.
"Concerned over large number of deaths due to Japanese Encephalitis and Acute Encephalitis Syndrome in Gorakhpur, the National Commission for Protection of Child Rights (NCPCR) has summoned the Principal Secretary (Health), UP government to appear before a bench constituted by it on October 3," a statement from the Commission said.
NCPCR member, Yogesh Dube, had recently visited Gorakhpur and expressed his dissatisfaction over government`s action in dealing with JE and AES cases.
He was also not satisfied with the government`s effort in preventing the spread of the disease, which has so far claimed lives of over 300 children in the district in last few months.
A total of 3,803 cases of JE and AES have been reported from across the country this year and the deadly virus has so far claimed 674 lives.
Dube also visited the BRD Medical College in Gorakhpur and inspected the infrastructure facilities to treat the children infected with the deadly disease and found there was no appropriate measures to curb the disease.
"The State Government has largely failed in dealing with as well as preventing JE cases. The government clearly lacks a long-term plan in dealing with the disease," he said.
He also stressed there was a need for an integrated management of physical and mental disabilities caused by the disease.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- DNA: How terrorists are trained by Pakistan Navy with help of ISI
- Indrani can do anything for money: Siddharth Das
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea charged with poisoning son Mikhail