NCPCR summons UP`s Principal Health Secy over JE deaths
New Delhi: With encephalitis claiming lives of large number of children in Uttar Pradesh`s Gorakhpur district, the country`s child rights protection body has directed the state`s Principal Secretary Health to appear before it next month.
"Concerned over large number of deaths due to Japanese Encephalitis and Acute Encephalitis Syndrome in Gorakhpur, the National Commission for Protection of Child Rights (NCPCR) has summoned the Principal Secretary (Health), UP government to appear before a bench constituted by it on October 3," a statement from the Commission said.
NCPCR member, Yogesh Dube, had recently visited Gorakhpur and expressed his dissatisfaction over government`s action in dealing with JE and AES cases.
He was also not satisfied with the government`s effort in preventing the spread of the disease, which has so far claimed lives of over 300 children in the district in last few months.
A total of 3,803 cases of JE and AES have been reported from across the country this year and the deadly virus has so far claimed 674 lives.
Dube also visited the BRD Medical College in Gorakhpur and inspected the infrastructure facilities to treat the children infected with the deadly disease and found there was no appropriate measures to curb the disease.
"The State Government has largely failed in dealing with as well as preventing JE cases. The government clearly lacks a long-term plan in dealing with the disease," he said.
He also stressed there was a need for an integrated management of physical and mental disabilities caused by the disease.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- When Kareena Kapoor Khan got 'emotional' while walking Lakme Fashion Week runway
- Two dead, 41 hurt in bus crash involving Louisiana flood-relief volunteers
- Three accused of 2009 Sri Lanka cricket team attack killed, claims Pakistan
- Heart failure among the aged may triple by 2060
- Shahid Kapoor holding his newly born daughter is the cutest thing you will see today! – Pic inside