NCSC for action against erring policemen in Banda rape case
Lucknow: Chairman of the National Commission
for Schedule Castes (NCSC), P L Punia, today said the Uttar
Pradesh government should take action against the policemen
who "implicated" the Banda rape victim in a false case.
"When the government has admitted that the girl was raped
and later implicated in a false case then an FIR should be
lodged against Superintendent of Police and his subordinates
and they should be jailed," Punia said.
He said that the commission had taken a serious note of
the incident and would dealt with it strictly.
"Police force has been deployed to terrorise the victim
and she is feeling insecure in the security cover," he
Punia visited Shahnawazpur and met the teenage rape
victim and her family. He also enquired about the incident.
"There is a provision of rehabilitation and employment in
such cases and it should be done by the government," he said.
The NCSC has already sought a report from the state
government in the case.
The dalit girl was allegedly raped on December 10 and 11
by BSP MLA Purushottam Naresh Dwivedi at the legislator`s
residence in Banda from where she escaped on December 12.
The girl, however, was arrested by the police in
connection with an allegedly cooked up case of theft lodged by
the legislator`s brother against her.
She had told her brother about the incident when she was
produced before the court on December 24 in connection with
After being in prison for a little over a month, the girl
was released last week on the orders of Uttar Pradesh Chief
Minister Mayawati after a CB-CID probe found allegations
levelled against her to be untrue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket explodes minutes after Florida launch
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- #SelfieWithDaughter trends worldwide on Twitter after PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat'
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him