NCW says Lakhimpur rape reminds it of Nirbhaya episode
New Delhi: National Women’s Commission member Nirmala Samant on Wednesday called for swift legal action on the Lakhimpur rape case, and said the incident reminded her of the Nirbhaya gang rape episode.
“This heinous act reminds us of the Nirbhaya episode. A year has not yet passed, and now, a similar incident has happened,” she said. “Women’s Commission has sent a notice to Assam Police, and they have to respond in 24 hours time. Huge protest has been taking place in Assam,” she added.
“It sends a wrong message to society, and we demand the arrest of culprits as soon as possible,” she said.
The Chief Minister should set up an inquiry in the matter,” Samant said On November25, several local residents and representatives of women organisations blocked National Highway 52 in protest against the rape.
On November 22, the victim had boarded a shared auto rickshaw, and was allegedly raped by four men, and thrown out of the vehicle near the Boginadi police station, after her eyes were gouged out. Rushed to the Gauhati Medical College Hospital, the victim succumbed to her wounds there.
Two suspects are being interrogated in connection with the crime. (ANI)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- Serena Williams battles rivals, self-doubt at Wimbledon
- Top 5 signs that your boyfriend is too controlling!
- Attack on CRPF convoy a desperate attempt to create problems: MoS Kiren Rijiju
- 'Udta Punjab' Box Office collection: Shahid Kapoor-Alia Bhatt starrer crosses Rs 50 crore mark!
- 30 dead, 21 injured after bus catches fire in central China