NCW says Lakhimpur rape reminds it of Nirbhaya episode
New Delhi: National Women’s Commission member Nirmala Samant on Wednesday called for swift legal action on the Lakhimpur rape case, and said the incident reminded her of the Nirbhaya gang rape episode.
“This heinous act reminds us of the Nirbhaya episode. A year has not yet passed, and now, a similar incident has happened,” she said. “Women’s Commission has sent a notice to Assam Police, and they have to respond in 24 hours time. Huge protest has been taking place in Assam,” she added.
“It sends a wrong message to society, and we demand the arrest of culprits as soon as possible,” she said.
The Chief Minister should set up an inquiry in the matter,” Samant said On November25, several local residents and representatives of women organisations blocked National Highway 52 in protest against the rape.
On November 22, the victim had boarded a shared auto rickshaw, and was allegedly raped by four men, and thrown out of the vehicle near the Boginadi police station, after her eyes were gouged out. Rushed to the Gauhati Medical College Hospital, the victim succumbed to her wounds there.
Two suspects are being interrogated in connection with the crime. (ANI)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Rafiabad encounter ends with one terrorist dead; an Army jawan also martyred