NCW slams UP govt for rising rape cases
New Delhi: In the backdrop of the brutal
attack on a Dalit girl in Uttar Pradesh, National Commission
for Women chairperson Girija Vyas on Monday slammed the state
administration and police for their handling of the rape and
Vyas said there were no signs of justice being
delivered to the victims and also blamed the police for
conducting "shoddy" investigations and implicating innocent
The Mayawati government is facing criticism over a
number of cases including the Banda case involving the rape of
a Dalit girl allegedly by a BSP MLA and the recent case in
Bindaki where a 16-year-old Dalit girl had her nose and ear
chopped off after she resisted a rape attempt by three men.
Allegations of abduction and murder have also been
levelled against a BSP minister.
"UP accounts for the most cases of rape and abduction.
There is no justice for the victims. What police does is nab
some innocent persons to just show that they have acted," Vyas
She asked why no rape case has been referred to fast
track courts till now.
In the latest incident in UP`s Bindaki area, a
teenaged Dalit girl was seriously injured when three youths
chopped off her nose, ear and a part of her hand after she
resisted a rape attempt and raised an alarm.
An FIR has been lodged against the three accused but
only one of them has been arrested.
Last week, family members of a murdered civil engineer
blocked Chief Minister Mayawati`s motorcade in Aligarh demanding
that she take action against a state minister accused in the
Women`s rights activist Ranjana Kumari also attacked
the UP government, saying Dalit girls do not appear to be safe
in the state that is ironically governed by a Dalit woman
"Just last month an MLA was arrested after having
raped a girl after a campaign by women`s groups and the media
and now again this is a more gruesome accident that has
happened. One cannot imagine how Mayawati is keeping quiet
about the whole situation. She is supposed to be a messiah of
the Dalits and in her state this is happening with Dalit
girls," she said.
She demanded an inquiry, especially against the
minister accused of murder.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA