NCW slams UP govt for rising rape cases
New Delhi: In the backdrop of the brutal
attack on a Dalit girl in Uttar Pradesh, National Commission
for Women chairperson Girija Vyas on Monday slammed the state
administration and police for their handling of the rape and
Vyas said there were no signs of justice being
delivered to the victims and also blamed the police for
conducting "shoddy" investigations and implicating innocent
The Mayawati government is facing criticism over a
number of cases including the Banda case involving the rape of
a Dalit girl allegedly by a BSP MLA and the recent case in
Bindaki where a 16-year-old Dalit girl had her nose and ear
chopped off after she resisted a rape attempt by three men.
Allegations of abduction and murder have also been
levelled against a BSP minister.
"UP accounts for the most cases of rape and abduction.
There is no justice for the victims. What police does is nab
some innocent persons to just show that they have acted," Vyas
She asked why no rape case has been referred to fast
track courts till now.
In the latest incident in UP`s Bindaki area, a
teenaged Dalit girl was seriously injured when three youths
chopped off her nose, ear and a part of her hand after she
resisted a rape attempt and raised an alarm.
An FIR has been lodged against the three accused but
only one of them has been arrested.
Last week, family members of a murdered civil engineer
blocked Chief Minister Mayawati`s motorcade in Aligarh demanding
that she take action against a state minister accused in the
Women`s rights activist Ranjana Kumari also attacked
the UP government, saying Dalit girls do not appear to be safe
in the state that is ironically governed by a Dalit woman
"Just last month an MLA was arrested after having
raped a girl after a campaign by women`s groups and the media
and now again this is a more gruesome accident that has
happened. One cannot imagine how Mayawati is keeping quiet
about the whole situation. She is supposed to be a messiah of
the Dalits and in her state this is happening with Dalit
girls," she said.
She demanded an inquiry, especially against the
minister accused of murder.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details