Neera Yadav out of jail
Ghaziabad: Controversial former Uttar
Pradesh chief secretary Neera Yadav, who was sentenced to four
years imprisonment in a Noida land scam case, was today
released on bail after spending seven days in a jail here.
Yadav (62), who was lodged in the high-security Dasna
jail since December seven after being convicted by a CBI
special court, walked free after furnishing a bail bond of Rs
Flex Industries owner Ashok Chaturvedi (57), who was
sentenced to a four-year imprisonment along with Yadav in the
case, was also granted bail by the Allahabad High Court
yesterday, and was released last night itself from Dasna Jail.
"Neera Yadav was released this afternoon after her
husband Mahender Singh Yadav submitted the bail papers to Jail
Superintendent Veeresh Raj Sharma," officials said.
"She (Yadav) had spent her time teaching other jail
inmates," the Superintendent said.
The former UP chief secretary, who took voluntary
retirement in 2007, had been found guilty of violating norms
in allotting industrial land plots to Flex Industries, while
she was the chief executive officer of NOIDA Authority in the
The CBI special court had convicted the two under
Section 13 Prevention of Corruption Act and 120B (conspiracy)
of the Indian Penal Code.
A 1971 batch IAS officer, Yadav was chief secretary
during the chief ministership of Mulayam Singh Yadav. She had
earned the dubious distinction of being the country`s first
IAS officer to be removed from the chief secretary`s post by
the Supreme Court on charges of corruption in 2005.
She was also tagged as one of the "most corrupt
officers" in a poll held by UP IAS association in 1997.
Yadav was also brought to CBI court yesterday by jail
authorities in connection with two more cases of alleged
irregularities in allocating plots to her two daughters
Sanskriti and Sukriti.
She was asked to be present in court for hearing of
the case on January 10 next year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living