Negligible representation of Muslims in UP Police
Lucknow: Recent data released by the Uttar Pradesh government about representation of Muslims in Police force flies in the face of the claims made by government and political parties about uplift of the community.
According to the recent data, only two per cent Sub-Inspectors (SI), three per cent Head Constables and four per cent Constables in UP Police are Muslims.
The facts were released by the state government in response to an RTI query moved by social activist Urvashi Sharma.
Till June 3, 2013 UP civil police employs 236 Muslim Sub-Inspectors out of total 10,197 ( 2.31 per cent); 269 Muslim Head-Constables out of total 8,224 ( 3.27 per cent) and 4,430 Muslim Constables out of total 1,01,245 total (4.37 per cent), the reply said.
Sharma in her query last year had asked for total number of police officials and employees of which how many are Muslims.
She said that though earlier it was Congress, over the past decades mainly two parties SP and BSP have been in power.
In 2005, the Centre had appointed Rajinder Sachar Committee to prepare a report on the social, economic and educational condition of Muslims.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof