Negligible representation of Muslims in UP Police
Lucknow: Recent data released by the Uttar Pradesh government about representation of Muslims in Police force flies in the face of the claims made by government and political parties about uplift of the community.
According to the recent data, only two per cent Sub-Inspectors (SI), three per cent Head Constables and four per cent Constables in UP Police are Muslims.
The facts were released by the state government in response to an RTI query moved by social activist Urvashi Sharma.
Meanwhile, responding to the report, UP Prison Minister and SP spokesman Rajendra Chaudhary today said the state government will consider "increasing Muslim`s representation in the recruitment in near future".
He claimed that whatever representation Muslims have in the department was due to SP chief Mulayam Singh Yadav, who made efforts in this direction as being the Chief Minister.
Chaudhary said that it was the "full intention" of the government that adequate representation be given to the community.
Till June 3, 2013 UP civil police employs 236 Muslim Sub-Inspectors out of total 10,197 ( 2.31 per cent); 269 Muslim Head-Constables out of total 8,224 ( 3.27 per cent) and 4,430 Muslim Constables out of total 1,01,245 total (4.37 per cent), the reply said.
Sharma in her query last year had asked for total number of police officials and employees of which how many are Muslims.
She said that though earlier it was Congress, over the past decades mainly two parties SP and BSP have been in power.
In 2005, the Centre had appointed Rajinder Sachar Committee to prepare a report on the social, economic and educational condition of Muslims.
The Committee placed the socio-economic and educational status of Muslims below that of the Scheduled Castes.
"In elections, SP banks on Muslim-Yadav equation and BSP boasts of Social Engineering. All parties try their best to depict themselves as the real well-wishers of Muslims," she said adding that these figures raise a question mark on their seriousness towards the issue of Muslims; uplift.
Muslims are about 17 per cent of the total 20 crore population of UP.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state