Nehru statue desecrated in UP
Deoria: The statue of former prime minister Jawaharlal Nehru installed at Town Hall here about 50 years back was desecrated, leading to protest by Congress workers.
The statue was desecrated on Friday night by some unidentified persons and an FIR has been registered in the matter, police said.
Infuriated over the incident, Congress workers blocked traffic and demanded installation of a new statue.
Executive Officer, Nagar Palika Akhileshwar Srivastava said the new statue would be installed soon.
He said that the statue was installed three months after the death of Nehru in May 1964.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country