Nehru statue desecrated in UP
Deoria: The statue of former prime minister Jawaharlal Nehru installed at Town Hall here about 50 years back was desecrated, leading to protest by Congress workers.
The statue was desecrated on Friday night by some unidentified persons and an FIR has been registered in the matter, police said.
Infuriated over the incident, Congress workers blocked traffic and demanded installation of a new statue.
Executive Officer, Nagar Palika Akhileshwar Srivastava said the new statue would be installed soon.
He said that the statue was installed three months after the death of Nehru in May 1964.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- How will the rift in Samajwadi Party affect UP politics?
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees