NGT restrain builders from extracting ground water
Noida: The National Green Tribunal (NGT) on Friday restrained all the builders in Noida and Greater Noida from extracting any quantity of underground water for the purposes of construction or otherwise till January 24.
The order was passed today by the tribunal in response to a public interest litigation(PIL) filed by environmentalist Vikrant Kumar Tongad expressing concern over depleting ground water level in Noida and Greater Noida.
A bench headed by newly appointed NGT Chairman Justice Swatanter Kumar fixed the next hearing date for January 24 as concerned authority officials could not be present due to a board meeting.
The tribunal stated that the authority shall be responsible for strict compliance and ensuring implementation of the interim injunction passed.
"We make it clear that it shall be their obligation to inform all the builders and even to take necessary action and steps against the defaulting builders or persons besides bringing the same to the notice of this tribunal," it said.
The Tribunal also observed that the underground water utilised for the purposes of construction hardly re-percolates into the earth for the fact that it is a tree-free zone, has concrete base and the water largely is wasted as it flows into the drains.
Before passing the order, the Tribunal noticed that the guidelines that have been duly notified by the Central Ground Water Authority have been violated with "impunity".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand