NHRC seeks reply over poor quality of anganwadi food
New Delhi: The National Human Rights Commission has sought a response from UP Government after it found that the food supplied in `anganwadis` in Gorakhpur
district was not up to the mark and was even diverted to be sold as cattle feed.
The Commission today asked the state government to submit its report on the matter within four weeks after taking suo motu cognisance of its findings on the malfunctioning in the implementation of Integrated Child Development Services (ICDS) project in Gorakhpur district.
An NHRC spokesperson said the Commission has sent its comments on the Action Taken Report of the state government on its findings along with the analysts reports to the state chief secretary seeking comments in the matter within four
According to findings of the Commission, Great Value Foods, which was supplying food for ICDS project in Gorakhpur, did not stock all the ingredients of the food. Further, the food was being prepared in a converted flour mill under unhygienic conditions.
"The analyst`s report No. 2481 indicated that the quality of food was not up to the mark. The sample of the food contained wheat starches only. The starches of maize and ragi were not found in the sample.
"The analyst`s report No 2482 also indicted that the sample of rice and soya powder used in the manufacture of baby food were adulterated," the spokesperson said.
The NHRC also observed that the UP government did not follow the directions of Supreme Court for decentralisation of the procurement of the baby food.
The information collected from DPO of Gorakhpur, beneficiaries and Anganwadi workers indicated that the bags of the food were diverted and sold as cattle feed, the spokesperson said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- PM Modi's 10th edition of 'Mann Ki Baat': As it happened
- Anna Hazare extends support to ex-servicemen over OROP protests
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- Mann ki Baat: Govt to provide cashless treatment to road accident victims, says PM Modi
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday