NHRC seeks reply over poor quality of anganwadi food
New Delhi: The National Human Rights Commission has sought a response from UP Government after it found that the food supplied in `anganwadis` in Gorakhpur
district was not up to the mark and was even diverted to be sold as cattle feed.
The Commission today asked the state government to submit its report on the matter within four weeks after taking suo motu cognisance of its findings on the malfunctioning in the implementation of Integrated Child Development Services (ICDS) project in Gorakhpur district.
An NHRC spokesperson said the Commission has sent its comments on the Action Taken Report of the state government on its findings along with the analysts reports to the state chief secretary seeking comments in the matter within four
According to findings of the Commission, Great Value Foods, which was supplying food for ICDS project in Gorakhpur, did not stock all the ingredients of the food. Further, the food was being prepared in a converted flour mill under unhygienic conditions.
"The analyst`s report No. 2481 indicated that the quality of food was not up to the mark. The sample of the food contained wheat starches only. The starches of maize and ragi were not found in the sample.
"The analyst`s report No 2482 also indicted that the sample of rice and soya powder used in the manufacture of baby food were adulterated," the spokesperson said.
The NHRC also observed that the UP government did not follow the directions of Supreme Court for decentralisation of the procurement of the baby food.
The information collected from DPO of Gorakhpur, beneficiaries and Anganwadi workers indicated that the bags of the food were diverted and sold as cattle feed, the spokesperson said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- CBSE (cbse.nic.in ) Class X results 2015: CBSE Class 10th Board results likely to be declared tomorrow on cbseresults.nic.in