NHRC seeks reply over poor quality of anganwadi food
New Delhi: The National Human Rights Commission has sought a response from UP Government after it found that the food supplied in `anganwadis` in Gorakhpur
district was not up to the mark and was even diverted to be sold as cattle feed.
The Commission today asked the state government to submit its report on the matter within four weeks after taking suo motu cognisance of its findings on the malfunctioning in the implementation of Integrated Child Development Services (ICDS) project in Gorakhpur district.
An NHRC spokesperson said the Commission has sent its comments on the Action Taken Report of the state government on its findings along with the analysts reports to the state chief secretary seeking comments in the matter within four
According to findings of the Commission, Great Value Foods, which was supplying food for ICDS project in Gorakhpur, did not stock all the ingredients of the food. Further, the food was being prepared in a converted flour mill under unhygienic conditions.
"The analyst`s report No. 2481 indicated that the quality of food was not up to the mark. The sample of the food contained wheat starches only. The starches of maize and ragi were not found in the sample.
"The analyst`s report No 2482 also indicted that the sample of rice and soya powder used in the manufacture of baby food were adulterated," the spokesperson said.
The NHRC also observed that the UP government did not follow the directions of Supreme Court for decentralisation of the procurement of the baby food.
The information collected from DPO of Gorakhpur, beneficiaries and Anganwadi workers indicated that the bags of the food were diverted and sold as cattle feed, the spokesperson said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM