NHRC seeks report from UP govt on child deaths in relief camps
New Delhi: The National Human Rights Commission on Thursday sought reports from the Uttar Pradesh government and the district authorities of Muzaffarnagar and Shamli on reported death of around 40 children due to extreme cold in relief camps meant for riot victims.
According to an NHRC statement released today, the step was taken after the Commission took suo motu cognizance of media reports which said that that at least 40 children died in Uttar Pradesh riot relief camps due to extreme cold.
"It is also reported that there were not enough blankets for the inmates of these camps resulting in the death of infants and young children in Malakpur, Suniti etc in Shamli district and Loi, Joula etc in Muzaffarnagar district," the statement said.
The Commission has observed that the contents of the press report, if true, raise a serious issue of violation of human rights of infants and children and issued notices to the Chief Secretary of Uttar Pradesh and District Magistrates of Muzaffarnagar and Shamli districts.
The Commission has given the officials four weeks` time to submit their reports in this connection.
Reportedly, the tents are set up with three sheets of tarpaulin that make the walls but there is no cover for the entrance, therefore, some blankets are to be tied together to cover it. Most of the dead children were below five years of age, the statement said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader